Heavy Rains in Japan – level 3
In the prefectures of Hiroshima and Shimane, Japan, heavy rains led to major flooding that damaged homes and destroyed infrastructure. A river in Hiroshima swept away one person, who later died. Tens of thousands of people had to evacuate.
One man described the rain as ‘drumming on the ground’.
Japan’s meteorological agency measured 35 centimetres of rain in one night.
Difficult words: prefecture (a district of a country such as Japan), infrastructure (the buildings and services needed for a city to run, such as roads or power), meteorological (studying the weather).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.