Help for blind people – level 3
A Swiss-based startup has developed a smart harness that supports the visually impaired with navigation. The device is called Biped One, and it uses the same technology for autonomous cars.
It guides pedestrians with 3D sounds that become louder near obstacles. The sounds play into a pedestrian’s headphones as he moves. The device finds obstacles, cars, pedestrian crossings, and depending on the situation, it keeps important information.
The company’s co-founder and CEO said that he saw many visually impaired people who couldn’t easily cross the street if bikes or electric cars passed them. He thought about how some robots could already do this task, and then he developed his project. Biped One goes on sale in September 2022, and it’ll cost $3,150.
Difficult words: harness (straps that hold a person), visually impaired (partially or completely blind), autonomous car (a car that can drive itself).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos