Hendrix and Handel – level 1
Jimi Hendrix was a guitar player. He was very good. He was born in 1942 in Seattle, USA. He also lived in London. He lived there in 1968 and 1969. He died in 1970. He was 27.
People refit his London flat. It looks like how it did in 1968. The refit costs 2.5 million pounds. The refit takes 2 years. You can visit the flat now.
Handel was a composer. He lived next door to Hendrix. However, he lived there in 1700. They lived 200 years apart.
Difficult words: was (past of “is”), -ed/-d (“in the past”), refit (to make nice and to seem new again), composer (a person who writes music).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like the two musical artists?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.