Herd Immunity – level 2
Herd immunity is the situation when the majority of people become immune to a disease. Usually, 70-90% of people need to be immune to get herd immunity. However, it is not easy to get it because some diseases are more infectious than others.
There are two ways to get herd immunity: a vaccine or a mass infection. To vaccinate enough people can take years. On the other hand, if too many people get sick at the same time, it can be a problem for hospitals.
Experts say that the best way is to make a vaccine. Before the vaccine is ready, people should follow governments´ rules to help stop the spread of the disease. It is clear that the coronavirus will continue to exist, and without the herd immunity, more people could get sick again.
Difficult words: immune (when a person´s body is strong enough not to catch a disease), infectious (how easily a disease spreads from person to person), mass infection (when many people catch a disease).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.