Hijab in Indian schools – level 2
Eight years ago, the government in India changed, and since that time, some Muslim women had problems in schools.
Some Muslim students wore the burqa, which is a special piece of clothing that covers the whole body and head. Others wore a headscarf called a hijab. This was a problem for many people who didn’t like religious clothing.
10% of people in India are Muslims, and Muslim women said that it was their right to wear the hijab and burqa. The government in the Karnataka state banned the hijab in state schools, but after a week of protests, Muslim women could return to schools.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.