History for sale – level 1
Unusual things from history are on auction. The things are from 500 years of time. They are about written things, music, science, and important history events.
One written example is a letter from the US President Fraklin D. Roosevelt. It is to the airplane pilot Amelia Earhart. He is a popular US president. She is the first famous female pilot. A scientific example is a US flag from the Apollo 11. The Apollo 11 is the first spaceship to take people to the Moon.
Another scientific example is a page from the Gutenberg Bible. This bible is the first book to get made with a printing press. An important history example is records from the Enola Gay military airplane. This airplane drops the first atomic bomb on Japan. It happens in World War II.
Difficult words: on auction (an event to sell unusual things and people work to buy the things at a higher price), printing press (the first machine to make books and newspapers with blocks of print or letters), atomic bomb (a dangerous bomb that kills many people and breaks many places at one time).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.