History for sale – level 3
Rare historic items are at the auction block from 500 years of important moments in different activities and interests.
They are from 1452 to 1969, and they are achievements from many areas such as literature, music, science, general and American histories, and significant historic events.
Example items are a letter from US President Franklin D. Roosevelt to the pilot Amelia Earhart, a US flag from the spaceship Apollo 11, draft music from Beethoven and Mozart, a page from the Gutenberg Bible, and a logbook from the Enola Gay military airplane. The logbook details the event when the Enola Gay dropped the first atomic bomb at Hiroshima, Japan during World War II. The bid for the logbook is $400,000.
Difficult words: auction block (the location where people sell things for a set price and the customers compete to buy the things at a higher price), logbook (a book of logs or records), bid (the first price for an item at an auction).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.