HIV Vaccine – level 2
An HIV vaccine experiment started in 2016 in South Africa to see if it could stop HIV’s development in HIV-negative volunteers. The vaccine was based on an experimental vaccine from Thailand which showed protection from HIV.
On January 23, a safety review organization said that 129 people who took the vaccine had HIV, and 123 people who took a placebo also had HIV. Since it did not seem like the vaccine stopped HIV’s development, it did not seem effective.
One of the people who worked on the vaccine said that people will continue to work on the fight against HIV in South Africa and around the world.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.