Hole In the Ground – level 2
In China, a CCTV camera caught an unusual thing in front of a shopping mall. The ground opened up, and at least 21 cars fell into a hole.
Reports said that rescuers recovered 15 cars; however, the cars were badly damaged. Luckily, nobody got hurt. Chinese authorities are investigating the accident. It seems that the weather caused it because currently there are heavy rains in this part of China.
The weather has become extreme in recent years, and it is the reason why sinkholes are more and more common around the world. They damage cars and sometimes, people get hurt, too. It is not possible to tell where and when sinkholes will appear.
Difficult words: CCTV camera (a camera that monitors an area and sends the video to a monitor), extreme (unusual or unexpected), sinkhole (a hole in the ground that happens naturally, usually when it rains a lot).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos