Homeless people and weather – level 1
Thousands of people die because of bad weather every year. Almost 700 Americans die last year. Homeless people are people without a home. They live in the street.
They stay outside when it is very hot. They do not have enough water. Sometimes it is too cold. They need more clothes and blankets.
Homeless people can sometimes stay in shelters and churches. They do not know how to live differently. They sometimes do not want any help.
Unusual weather makes more people homeless. 20 million people must leave their homes every year. There are more floods, fires, or storms. It is very difficult to solve the problem. Unusual weather happens more and more often.
Difficult words: blanket (a large piece of cloth which keeps someone warm), shelter (a safe place), flood (when it rains too much, and water is in houses and streets).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos