Homeless people and weather – level 3
In 2021, at least 688 Americans died from weather events, mostly due to February’s southern winter storm and extreme heat in the Pacific Northwest. Experts say climate change mostly causes these events.
Homeless people have no protection from extreme weather, and this negatively impacts their life expectancy and quality of life. However, as the homeless suffer from climate change, it also creates homelessness. Extreme weather events displace 20 million people worldwide from their homes every year.
Until the climate crisis gets solved, governments need to offer more affordable housing options. However, people who run shelters say it is difficult to make a homeless person move into a regular home. Homeless people are often used to living in communities, and the first step to help them is to build trust between them and local area shelters. Building trust can be a lengthy process.
Difficult words: life expectancy (the length of time a living thing is likely to live), displace (to force someone to leave home, usually because of war or natural disaster), lengthy (taking or continuing for a long time).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos