Homeless people in Brazil – level 3
The coronavirus is fading from Brazil´s biggest cities; however, homelessness and hunger are on the rise.
Estimates say that the number of people who lack money to afford housing now totals over 66,000, nearly triple the amount of the most recent census from 2019. In Rio de Janeiro, there are about 14,000, which is about double the last official count from last year. Tents and shelters line sidewalks, entire families beg at busy streets, and there are lines of people at the doors of churches and organizations that give help.
Vaccines are now widespread; however, high inflation is removing the little that Brazil made after recovering from last year´s economic crisis. Ahead of next year’s elections, President Jair Bolsonaro is now promising to significantly grow cash transfers to the poor; however, economists fear that prices are going to continue rising.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.