Honduras fire – level 3
Last week, a huge fire destroyed and damaged more than 200 houses and businesses on the Honduran island of Guanaja about 77 kilometers off the north coast of Honduras.
It forced hundreds of residents to flee for safety and it ravaged the tourism-dependent resort. The fire started before dawn, and residents struggled to bring it under control as the island has no firefighters. The President of Hondras Juan Orlando Hernández visited the scene and described it as devastating. He promised that the homes destroyed by the blaze would be rebuilt. No one was reported dead; however, a number of people were injured in the fire that, authorities believe, was caused by a candle flame.
Guanaja is one of the country’s three picturesque Bay Islands, where snorkelers and divers come to see dolphins and a big coral reef.
Difficult words: ravage (to cause severe damage to something), dawn (the first appearance of light in the sky before sunrise), picturesque (attractive in appearance).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos