Hong Kong Man Complains – level 2
Simon Cheng is a former British Consulate worker who was detained in China for 15 days. This happened in August, and officials say that the reason is that he wanted sex for money, which is a crime in China.
Cheng said that he did nothing wrong and that Chinese officials tortured him because they wanted to get information about the UK´s role in Hong Kong´s protests against the government.
China says that this is not true. CGTN, the Chinese TV station licensed by the UK, broadcast a video in which Cheng says that he did it and that he is sorry about it. However, he says that officials tortured him to say this.
Cheng is in hiding now, but he complained to the UK Office for Communications. He believes that it was wrong to broadcast the video.
Difficult words: detain (to keep somebody in a place for to question about a crime), torture (to hurt somebody to get some information from him), broadcast (to send out a program on TV or radio), complain (to say that something is wrong)
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.