Horsemeat helicopter – level 3
In Kumertau, Russia, the main industrial hub is a plant that makes helicopters, and horsemeat is a traditional cuisine there. This situation gave people a strange idea to make something.
These people attempted to create the world’s biggest helicopter model made out of horsemeat sausages and other horse products. The model was over 3.5 metres long, about 1.8 metres high, and it weighed about 120 kilos.
The helicopter’s blades rotated and people proudly demonstrated them to a fascinated crowd and local chefs. People even took selfies with the helicopter.
Experts measured the model to determine if it could be in a local book of records. No one was allowed to nibble on the sausages until the helicopter set the record. However, there was no plan to eat the helicopter; people were horsing around!
Difficult words: hub (the centre of an activity), cuisine (a type of food from a certain place), nibble (eat small amounts of food by taking very small bites), set the record (do something that no one has done before), horse around informal (joke).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What was the purpose of measuring the horsemeat sausage helicopter model?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.