Horses Jump over Fire – level 3
There is a winter festival in one Spanish village when horses and riders jump over bonfires in the streets. People believe that it originated in the Middle Ages as a purification ritual during times of plague. The people kept faith with their heritage, despite criticism from animal rights groups.
One of the riders says that the horses are very intelligent animals. If a horse jumps through the fire and nothing happens, then it can cross smoothly many more times. Even if you borrow his horse and you cannot ride, it will go around the whole village and cross the fires without a single problem.
In recent years, tourism has focused on this country village with crowds coming from across Spain to see the riders in action. One student from Madrid said that it is so beautiful to see how the horses cross the bonfires again and again with such energy and attitude.
Critics argue that the festival is against the national laws on animal protection and public entertainment, but for the moment, this tradition shows no signs of ending.
Difficult words: bonfire (outdoor fire made for a party), purification (a cleaning), plague (an illness that killed many people in the Middle Ages), heritage (traditional beliefs).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.