Hospital is flooded – level 3
Staff at a US hospital got a bit of a shock when their cafeteria was completely flooded.
A wave of floodwater crashed through the windows of the Good Samaritan Hospital in Nebraska last week, sending people searching for higher ground.
CCTV footage from the hospital captured the moment gallons of water swept in, smashing chairs and tables in its way, as staff and visitors watched on in horror from the staircase.
According to reports, the local sewer system was ’overwhelmed’ by storms on Friday and Saturday, which gave the town almost four inches of rain (10 centimetres).
While no patients, staff or physicians were injured in this incident, the murky water may have caused substantial damage to the hospital dining area.
The Good Samaritan Hospital, which uploaded the video to its Facebook page, said in the post that this was just a glimpse into the series of events that unfolded that day.
Difficult words: cafeteria (restaurant where you serve yourself), CCTV footage (security camera video), sweep (move), smash (break), physician (doctor), murky (dark and dirty), substantial (a lot of), unfold (happen).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos