Hostage situation in Germany – level 2
A masked man took hostages at a cinema south of Frankfurt in Germany. He was holding a gun, probably a rifle.
A meeting between the police and the perpetrator happened in the cinema. The police shot the man and he later died. He was the only one who died that day. His identity and motive of the attack are not known.
Difficult words: hostage (a person who is taken prisoner by an attacker), rifle (a long gun), perpetrator (a person who does something bad).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos