Hostages Are Free – level 2
In the Philippines, a gunman shot a person and took 30 to 40 people hostage at a shopping mall. He was a security guard at the mall, and he was upset that he was recently fired from his job.
Police negotiated with the gunman. After hours, specialized police and other police entered the mall to rescue everyone and take the gunman to jail. The people were free and the injured person is recovering at hospital.
Difficult words: gunman (a person who attacks other people with a gun), take hostage (to force someone to stay with you so you can get something), negotiate (to talk with people to explain what they are doing and what you can do to help them).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.