Hotel in Mali is attacked – level 1
This news is not good. It is from Bamako. Bamako is the capital of Mali.
Islamic extremists attack a hotel in Bamako. They kill and hurt many people.
The extremists take hostages. Some people run away. Others say words from the Koran, and the extremists let them go.
Difficult words: extremist (a person who does extremely bad things such as to change a political situation), hostage (when people keep a person as a prisoner), the Koran (the Islamic holy book).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this attack in Bamako?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.