Houston Bar Explosion – level 1
On Friday, a bar explodes in Houston, US. The explosion happens at 5 am. Fortunately, the bar closes at 11 pm the night before. Nobody is in the bar when it explodes.
Officials say that nobody gets hurt. However, the explosion is very strong. It destroys a nearby food truck. The explosion breaks windows of nearby houses. People say that walls move. Pictures fall off walls.
Officials must find out know what happens. At the moment, they do not know. However, it seems that gas explodes in the bar. The owner of the bar works on the bar last year. The explosion totally destroys the bar.
Difficult words: explode (to break up into pieces and it make a lot of noise at the same time), explosion (the moment when something breaks up into pieces and it makes a lot of noise), destroy (to damage very badly).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.