Houston Explosion – level 2
There was an explosion of a manufacturing building in Houston, Texas, on Friday early morning. Authorities said that two people died, and one person was in hospital.
The police started to investigate what caused the explosion. It seems that the explosion was an accident.
The explosion was very strong, and the debris damaged houses that were half a mile away. Some photos from the scene show that the building was in flames.
Authorities closed some schools in the area in response to the explosion. However, they say that local people do not need to worry about bad air quality.
Difficult words: accident (something that happens by chance without a person’s plan), debris (broken pieces of something destroyed), response (reaction).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos