How to cool cities – level 2
In many parts of the world, heatwaves are more and more common, and they affect millions of people.
Cities are becoming too hot, and experts are thinking of methods to cool them. One possibility is to let fresh air move between buildings. Architects design buildings in special ways to help the wind move and lower the temperature. Also, they build structures to provide shade, and they cool people and streets.
Another possibility is to place more plants and trees in streets and on the roofs of buildings. Over fifty years ago, Singapore started to plant trees and make more parks, and now it is one of the greenest cities in the world.
Now, this idea is spreading to other cities. People paint roofs and roads lighter colors because they hold less heat from the sun.
Difficult words: possibility (what can happen or what somebody can do), architect (a person who designs buildings), shade (a shadow).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos