How Video Calling Started – level 2
In the late 1890s, people started to think that it could be possible to see the person who they were calling. It was not easy to develop such technology.
In the 1930s, special boots were in post offices, but the video was very bad. In 1955, the US company Kay Lab invented Television-Phone, and they called it ‘the telephone of tomorrow’. The screen was 25 centimeters wide and two people could see each other while calling.
Scientists developed much better technologies in the 1980s and 1990s, but they were very expensive. In the late 1990s, it became possible to use the Internet for video calling and people started to use the technology normally.
Many people started to use video calling in 2020 because they could not meet each other. Funny moments happened sometimes because people could not use the technology well.
Difficult words: develop (to start something and make it better or bigger), technology (systems and ways of doing something), boot (a special place where people made calls from in the past).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos