How Video Calling Started – level 3
Development of video calling started in the late 19th century; however, the technology became available to the public in the 1930s.
These early demonstrations were installed in post offices and they were shown at various world expositions. Attempts to use normal telephony networks to transmit video failed mostly due to poor picture quality and the lack of video compression techniques.
The 1955 invention of Television-Phone was hailed ’the telephone of tomorrow’ when it was unveiled by San Diego’s Kay Lab. The device gave a 25-centimeter view of the person who somebody was calling, and it lasted until one of the persons hang up. Very expensive systems continued to evolve throughout the 1980s and 1990s; however, only in the late 20th century with high-speed Internet broadband, video calling became a practical technology for regular use.
Video calling has become an important part of life since, especially for people working from home during 2020 and 2021, and there have been many mishaps and funny moments, too, while using the technology.
Difficult words: compression (the reduction in volume or picture quality so something can be sent faster), broadband (a technique that allows a large number of messages to be communicated at the same time), mishap (an unlucky incident).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.