Human teeth in a statue – level 3
Restoration experts in Mexico were left shocked after they discovered an 18th century statue of Christ contained real human teeth.
Art restoration specialists from Mexico’s National School of Restoration x-rayed the figure before starting their project, but what they found was far more surprising.
When the X-rays came back, the team discovered the teeth in the statue once belonged to an adult human, before they were inserted into the head of the Christ figure.
“In this case we found that it has teeth that belonged to a human. We noticed it because the roots can be perfectly seen in the X-rays.”
Teeth and nails in some statues are often made of animal bone but it’s rare that human teeth would be used.
“In the 18th century, people often donated human hair and clothes to be used on statues to give them a more realistic look.”
Difficult words: art restoration specialist (person who makes art look like how it used to look), x-ray (to photograph something with x-ray, which is an electromagnetic wave which can pass through many materials).
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.