Hundredth birthday with sharks – level 3
It’s not exactly what you’d expect a grandparent to do to mark their 100th birthday, but daredevil Georgina Harwood isn’t like other grannies.
She celebrated her 100th year by plunging into shark-infested waters. Just off the South African coast on Monday, Georgina sported a full body diving suit and climbed into a submerged cage to see the sharks underwater.
“I don’t know where to look!”
“Were you happy to see a shark?”
“I’ve got some water for you, Granny.”
“The experience of a lifetime!”
Not only did she take part in the daring dive – two days before, Georgina jumped out of a plane in a tandem skydive. And that wasn’t even her first jump. Since turning 92, she’s taken part in three skydives.
Georgina, who planned a number of activities to celebrate her centenary, was skydiving to raise money to buy life jackets for volunteers at the National Sea Rescue Institute in South Africa.
Difficult words: mark (to celebrate), daredevil (brave), plunge (to dive), shark-infested (the sharks are present), sport (to wear), submerged (underwater), daring (dangerous), tandem (with a professional), centenary (the hundredth birthday), volunteer (a person who does something without being paid for it).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.