Hungary weddings – level 3
Soaring inflation is taking the stream out of Hungary’s wedding market, supercharged in recent years by Prime Minister Viktor Orban’s lavish family support measures.
The number of weddings plunged to a nine-year low at the start of 2023. Couples reported that they exceeded their wedding budget several times and they had to make uneasy compromises.
The government’s measures have fueled a wedding boom in recent years and lifted Hungary to the top of the EU matrimony table. However, Hungary is projected to run the EU’s highest average inflation rate at 16.4% this year. This has led to the number of guests at weddings dramatically decreasing. Twenty years ago, the average wedding had 100 to 120 guests, then 10 years ago, it was 80 to 100, and now, weddings with 60 guests are the most frequent. This shows that couples don’t have enough money to throw a really big party.
Difficult words: supercharge (to make something faster or more powerful), lavish (generous and impressive with a lot of money spent on), matrimony (the state of being married).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What impact has soaring inflation had on the frequency and scale of weddings in Hungary?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos