Hurricane Harvey – level 3
In the US, Texas is getting ready for the strongest storm to come to the mainland in 12 years. Scientists named this storm Hurricane Harvey, and it could become a Category 3 hurricane, which means that its winds will reach 210 kilometres/hour.
In coastal regions, the government issued mandatory evacuations and at 100 miles inland, people reinforced their homes. A sheriff warned people that they needed to leave and that he would not send boats to rescue them if they chose to stay.
Once the hurricane hits land, if the eye of the storm sits in one place, there could be days and days of rain.
Difficult words: issue (officially say), mandatory (when you have to do something), reinforce (make protections, make stronger), eye of the storm (the middle of a hurricane; on the outside of the eye, the storm is the strongest).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.