Hurricane Hits Haiti – level 2
Last week, Hurricane Matthew tore through Haiti. It completely destroyed parts of the country’s southwest. Hundreds died and thousands became homeless.
Hurricane Matthew is the most powerful Caribbean storm in a decade. Most of the deaths were in towns and fishing villages around the southern coast. Many died by falling trees, flying debris, and swollen rivers.
Hospitals in Haiti have problems in caring for the sick and injured. Phone coverage and electricity are down, and people do not have enough food and water.
Difficult words: tear (move very quickly), debris (pieces of broken things), swollen river (a river with more water than normal because of heavy rain).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos