Hurricane Hits Haiti – level 3
Hundreds died and thousands are homeless in Haiti in the destruction caused by Hurricane Matthew. The storm completely levelled parts of southwest Haiti as it tore through the area last week.
The death toll in the country, as a result of the most powerful Caribbean storm in a decade, has soared to more than 300, and many more people who lost everything are lucky to be alive. Most of the deaths were in towns and fishing villages around the southern coast, with many killed by falling trees, flying debris, and swollen rivers.
With many hospitals having no power and being short on supplies, Haiti is struggling to care for some of its sick and those injured in the hurricane. Non-governmental organisations say that phone coverage and electricity are down and people are running out of food and water.
Difficult words: death toll (the number of dead people), soar (rise rapidly), debris (pieces of broken things), swollen river (a river with more water than normal because of heavy rain), struggle (try hard).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.