Hurricane Patricia – level 3
Despite the idyllic scenery, there’s a hurricane on the way, and it’s expected to be the strongest hurricane recorded in the western hemisphere.
“Potentially catastrophic”, is how Hurricane Patricia is being described. The storm became a hurricane overnight, and had maximum sustained winds of about 150 miles per hour (241 kilometres per hour). Mexico’s national water commission reported it has strengthened to a Category 5 storm.
Patricia was last located about 225 miles (362 kilometres) south of the port of Manzanillo, where a hurricane warning has been issued. A Miami-based hurricane centre said the storm could gain more strength before making landfall this evening.
Mexican officials and the United States government are urging people to stay away from beaches, rough seas and to take shelter. Mexican emergency services have begun to prepare shelters and warned people in the states of Colima, Jalisco and Michoacan to get ready for torrential rainfalls.
Difficult words: idyllic (peaceful), sustained (existing for a long time), issue (to set; to tell to many people), gain (to get), urge (to suggest something strongly), rough (not calm), torrential (very heavy).
Are there hurricanes in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos