Hurricanes Near America – level 2
NASA released images of hurricanes Jose and Irma. NASA captured them from the International Space Station.
In the images, Irma’s winds are travelling at 257 kilometres per hour. The storm is passing over Cuba, and it has already devastated much of the Caribbean. People expect it to hit Florida next.
Jose is a category 4 hurricane, which is following a similar path to Irma. This complicates relief efforts.
Difficult words: devastate (destroy), category 4 hurricane (when a hurricane has winds of 178-208 kilometres per hour), relief efforts (actions of help).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos