Hurt Service Members – level 2
Last month, the US killed an important Iranian general after the US president authorized the killing. In response, Iran attacked a US military base in Iraq.
At first, the president said that no one at the base was hurt or killed in the attack, but later he said that some of them had “headaches.”
After that, the Defense Department said that 64 people had mild traumatic brain injuries. Recently, the Department said that 109 service members had the injuries. 76 people had help and went back to work.
Difficult words: authorize (to formally allow), Defense Department (the part of a government that protects a country and its people), mild traumatic brain injury (when something makes your body shake so hard that it hurts your brain a little bit).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.