Husband and wife are together again – level 2
Gordon and Mary Davis are both 89 years old. They got married 68 years ago. Before the coronavirus pandemic started, Mary was living at home and Gordon was in a care home.
Gordon fell ill and he needed to go to hospital. During the pandemic, Mary moved into a care home in Mansfield, UK. It was not the same care home which Gordon stayed at. It meant that the couple did not see each other for months.
It happened that there was a room available in the Mansfield care home. Staff wanted to surprise Mary, and they did not tell her that Gordon would move in. When the couple saw each other after such a long time, they both started to cry. They were happy to be together again.
Difficult words: care home (a place where someone who is old or ill lives when he cannot live at home anymore), available (ready for somebody to use it), staff (all the people who work in one company).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos