Husband and wife become saints – level 1
There is a big meeting in the Vatican. It is a meeting of Catholics. The pope is there, too. He makes a husband and wife saints. He makes them saints in one day. This is the first time in history.
The couple lived in France. They lived in the 19th century. They had five daughters. All of them were nuns.
Difficult words: saint (a person who was very good and is important to religion), had (past of “is”), were (past of “are”), nun (nuns are women who live together and serve God).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about these new saints?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.