Ice Breaks Under a Car – level 3
An Audi Q7 sped onto a frozen reservoir in Northeast China and drifted for a bit before its rear wheels suddenly broke through the ice.
Within a matter of minutes, the whole car had gone underwater. Luckily, all three passengers, including the driver, managed to climb out of a window to safety.
Local residents had gathered to the opening ceremony of a local winter fishing festival, all witnessing the moment that the car plunged. People later pulled the car out of the water with no injuries to be reported.
Difficult words: reservoir (a man-made lake), drift (move, slide), rear (back), within a matter of minutes (happening very quickly over a few minutes), SUV (a sport utility vehicle – a high-performance four-wheel-drive vehicle), gather (come together), plunge (fall).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think of this incident?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.