Ice fishing festival – level 1
This happens in northeast China. There is a lake. It covers 500 square kilometres. It is frozen now. People hold a festival at the lake.
It is an ice fishing festival. Fishermen cut a hole in the ice. They throw their nets into the water. They catch the fish like this.
Nearly 100,000 people come to the lake. They want to buy the fish. The fish are special to them. They believe that the fish bring luck. The first fish is the best. It is sold for 370,000 yuan. That is about 60,000 US dollars.
Difficult words: hole (an empty space), net (something that is like a bag that has holes and is for catching fish or other small animals), luck (good things or happy feelings).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this festival?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos