Ice Rink with Dead Fish – level 3
In Japan, people at a theme park called Space World opened an ice rink with 5,000 real dead fish inside the ice. The company said that it made this display with formations and designs to educate visitors to the park about marine life.
People reported that the animals were already dead before they were frozen into the display. Featuring 25 different types of frozen fish in the 250-metre long rink, Space World wanted to bring in visitors but instead received criticism.
Many people were offended and condemned the decision, even saying that it was “an insult to life”. After a wave of public backlash and boycotts of the park, the park closed the rink due to the “fishy business“. Space World will replace the ice and hold a mass for the deceased fish.
Difficult words: to be offend (feel angry), condemn (strongly say that you do not like something), public backlash (when many people react at once), boycott (when you do not want to spend money on a business or go to a business), fishy business (something suspicious), mass (a religious ceremony), deceased (dead).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.