Ice sculptures in China – level 3
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Nope, it’s just one of many ice sculptures competing at China’s annual Snow and Ice Festival. Birds, buffalos and the more mythological creatures are just some of the designs imagined up at this year’s contest.
This sculptor explained the symbolic meaning behind his work.This piece is meant to express the “contents of a kind-hearted inner beauty”.
The festival, now in its 32nd year, ploughs through a huge 1.5 million cubic meters of snow, attracting thousands of tourists to watch the sculptors at work, and making it the largest snow spectacle of its kind.
Initially, participants were primarily Chinese, but now it attracts sculptors from far and wide. This Spanish chiseller observes the difference in climate to his hometown.
“It looks warmer than last year and a few years ago that for our body it’s better because I came from Barcelona and it’s really warm weather.”
Clearly, a lot of skill, talent and icy determination go behind these sculptures.
Difficult words: annual (happening every year), mythological creature (a person or an animal which exists only in stories), contents (the inside), plough (to push through), huge (very big), spectacle (something amazing to see), from far and wide (from many places), chiseller (somebody who chisels – cuts or shapes something with a chisel, a long-bladed tool), icy determination (this is a pun as it uses the word “icy” and it means being very determined – having a plan of doing something and doing it).
What do you think about this festival?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.