Iceland volcano erupts – level 2
A volcano erupted in southwest Iceland, and it released lava and smoke. The eruption came after weeks of intense earthquake activity.
The Reykjanes peninsula faced the threat of a big eruption, and authorities evacuated nearly 4,000 people from Grindavik located 40 km southwest of Reykjavik. The Blue Lagoon spa closed last month, too. The eruption caused cracks in the ground and it extended towards the village. Keflavik International Airport remains open but there are delays. Officials warned of possible movement toward Grindavik as a 3.5 km crack appeared.
The volcano releases 100 to 200 cubic meters of lava per second. Authorities warn people to stay away.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What precautions are authorities taking in response to the ongoing volcanic eruption in Iceland?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.