If Surrey were Syria – level 1
Surrey is a county in England. There is no war, children can go to school and people have enough food. In Syria, the situation is very different.
A charity organises an experiment. It simulates a special situation in Surrey. It does not simulate war, but children cannot go to school and there is no food in the shops. People cannot go to hospital.
The charity films this. The film shows how people react. The charity wants to make people think about the situation in Syria.
Difficult words: county (a small area of a country), charity (an organisation which helps people), simulate (to make something which is not real look real).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this experiment?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos