IKEA Pictures in a Museum – level 3
Dutch YouTube pranksters managed to trick more than a dozen art lovers into thinking that a cheap print from IKEA was a valuable work of modern art.
The team placed the cheap canvas on display in a museum of modern art in the Netherlands and asked the art lovers for an appraisal, saying that the art was by a famous Swedish artist called ’Ike Andrews’.
Apparently, nearly all of the 20 people interviewed fell for the lie; they talked of modernity, symbolism, emotion – the usual talk of an ‘expert’. The team eventually revealed its IKEA hoax and a majority of the art lovers saw the funny side but not all were pleased about being duped.
Difficult words: prankster (a person who plays pranks – practical jokes – on people), canvas (a painting), appraisal (an opinion judging the worth of something), apparently (according to the way things look), hoax (trying to make people believe something which isn’t true), dupe (to trick somebody).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think of modern art?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos