Illegal fishing in Capri – level 2
Capri is a southern Italian island and it has problems with illegal fishing.
Local politicians are asking the government for help. They want to make a marine reserve where fishermen and tourists cannot go. Divers harvest mussels which are very valuable and harvesting them is illegal. Divers use hammers and even explosives, which badly damages rocks and coral reefs. Coral reefs need many years to grow again.
On the black market, one kilogram of mussels costs up to 240 dollars. The problem is that local restaurants buy them. Recently, local police stopped two illegal groups who harvested mussels in Capri. They sold over 7.5 kilograms of them in just a few months.
Difficult words: harvest (to pick fruit, animals or fish to eat), valuable (something that costs a lot of money), coral reef (an underwater area of sea animals which look like rocks and where many other animals live).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.