Illegal ivory business – level 1
Hunters kill elephants for their tusks. It is illegal in Africa. Sadly, business with ivory is still happening.
Ivory is the white thing in elephant’s tusks. People buy ornaments from ivory. These are people usually from Asia. Hunters kill more than 20,000 African elephants every year. The number of animals is falling quickly.
Police find 4,000 tusks in African ports. Ports are places where ships go. Scientists make DNA tests. The tests show that many elephants belong to the same family. The tests can help find the hunters.
Police also need to find the people who buy tusks from hunters. If these people go to prison, nobody will buy the tusks. The killings will stop.
Difficult words: tusk (one of the two long teeth of an elephant), ornament (a thing which people use for decoration), DNA test (a test which shows if someone belongs to the same family as somebody else).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.