Illegal ivory in Vietnam – level 1
On Monday, customs officers in Vietnam find seven tons of ivory. The ivory is between bags of peanuts. It is the biggest amount of ivory in many years.
The ivory comes from Angola. It travels via Singapore. It is illegal to do business with ivory in Vietnam. But smugglers bring many animal parts to Vietnam. These products often are ivory and rhino horns.
Last month, Vietnamese authorities also seize 600 kilograms of ivory. In the same month, a man goes to prison for 13 years. He smuggles 10 tons of animal parts from Africa.
Difficult words: customs officer (a person whose job is to check travelers’ bags or containers with products), ivory (the hard white substance in the tusks of animals such as elephants), smuggle (to move things from or into a country illegally).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What kind of punishments do smugglers face in Vietnam for illegal animal parts trading?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos