Incident in a synagogue – level 2
A man stabbed a Jewish student in the ankle in a Brooklyn synagogue. Police arrived at the scene and confronted the 49-year-old African American.
He was in the synagogue. He waved the knife around and threatened others. The police told him to put the knife down, but he would not do so. A policeman shot him dead.
People moved the 22 year-old student to hospital and he should be fine.
Difficult words: stab (to attack somebody with a knife), confront (when you try to deal with something directly), threaten (to tell somebody you will hurt him).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you agree with the policeman's action?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.