Incident in Spain – level 1
This news is about Spain. From 1936 to 1939, there is a war. It is the Spanish Civil War. Around 30,000 people die. The side with Francisco Franco wins the war. Franco becomes a dictator. He is a dictator in Spain until he dies in 1975.
There is a big monument in Spain. It shows respect to the 30,000 dead people. Franco is buried there, too. He has a tombstone there.
An artist comes to this tombstone. He draws a red dove and writes ‘For Freedom’ on the tombstone.
Difficult words: civil war (a war between the people of one country), tombstone (a large flat stone laid over a grave), dove (a bird which is a symbol of peace – no war or fighting).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos