India and China Fight – level 3
On Monday, Indian and Chinese troops clashed in a violent brawl on a desolate border road. Twenty Indian soldiers were killed, and unknown Chinese deaths occurred as soldiers fought with rocks and bamboo sticks.
India and China are geopolitical enemies and both are nuclear armed. The countries have faced generational tensions over a 2,100-mile region near India’s Galwan Valley. They fought a war in 1962, and they reached a tense agreement on the border line.
The problem is that neither India nor China is willing to surrender claims to the region. Officials say that neither country wants a war; however, this clash will harden the relationship between them. Two years ago, both countries’ leaders agreed to maintain peace on the border.
Although no shots were fired on Monday, it was the worst clash in 40 years.
Difficult words: brawl (a rough or violent fight), desolate (with few people around, far away from cities), geopolitical (related to countries and governments across the world), surrender (to give up, to stop trying to control something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos