India bridge collapse – level 3
In the Indian state of Gujarat, at least 141 people died and many were missing after a pedestrian bridge suddenly collapsed into the Machchu River. The incident happened only a week after the bridge had reopened.
According to officials, the bridge was dangerously overcrowded at the time of the collapse because people were celebrating the Diwali festival.
Some survivors clambered up the bridge’s broken netting, and others managed to swim to the river banks. Rescuers searched the murky waters, and divers scoured the riverbed for missing people. Local police questioned eight people about the collapse.
The 230-meter structure was a popular tourist attraction known locally as Julto Pul. People built the swinging bridge in the 19th century during British rule. It was a swinging bridge.
Difficult words: clamber (to climb with difficulty), murky (dark and dirty), scour (to search carefully).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos